So you wanna be the boss

While exploring the wild recesses of YouTube this afternoon, I found myself funkily entranced by a 1982 Oliver Cheatham song called, "Everybody Wants To Be The Boss." Though written more than three decades ago, the song still seems to reflect contemporary society - we all wanna be top dog. Everyone seems to be gunning for president, CEO, supervisor - the list goes on. But what does it mean to be the boss? What are the responsibilities of being a leader?

As it turns out, Ammon, a character in the Book of Mormon, is the one who answered this question for me. In the passage I was reading, Ammon and his homies were about to split up to go to different Lamanite cities to preach the word of God. It began with, "Now Ammon being the chief among them, or rather he did administer unto them" (Alma 17:18). So Ammon was head honcho, and he "administered" unto them? Sounds to me like administration, like some kind of business venue. A dab peculiar for the BCs, if you ask me. Notwithstanding my initial befuddlement, after a small investigation, I learned that the word "administer" comes from the latin ad-, "to" and ministrare, "to serve," thus suggesting that what made Ammon the chief among his brethren was the fact that he served them, an idea backed up by the context presented in the rest of the verse. Therefore, according to the Book of Mormon, as well as my personal convictions, true leadership is service.

I encountered additional support for my conclusion regarding leadership and service within the pages of yet another credible source: the New Testament. After a mild apostolic dispute among the twelve, 

"Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them. But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister; And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant" (Matthew 20:25-27)


Once again, the boss is to serve. This time, however, a clarifying comparison is added: "Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life as a ransom for many" (Matthew 20:28). Christ told His apostles exactly what kind of servants they needed to be - just like He was. He didn't come for power, prestige or popularity. He came to serve, and to give His life for mankind. Thanks to Him, we should know in every respect what being the boss looks like.

I admit, easier said than done. Whenever I get to be big cheese, I naturally resort to telling everyone what to do and ensuring things are carried according to my methods and specifications (see D&C 121:39). In spite of the fact that my way of doing things, if implemented on a broader scale, would undoubtedly result in tremendous success - world peace, the end of world hunger, etc. - no one seems to want me as their supervisor. Heck, not even my imaginary kids do what I say, though I'm clueless as to why. Maybe I'm approaching this all wrong. Ideas, anyone? 


Hint: Click the links below

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Don't judge

Mornings

Actions speak louder than words...or do they?