THIS is my doctrine: A clarification by the Savior

Have you ever tried explaining something to somebody and they just don't get it? You try saying it slowly, reordering the words, maybe in exasperation you try a different language, and they STILL don't understand. Things are warming up, and before you know it, you are practically livid and on the verge of exploding into conniptions because they can't comprehend this one thing. Finally, you say it as plainly and simply - and as loudly - as you can, and voila - they understand.

I imagine our Heavenly Father and the Savior sometimes feel this way about us. Remember the time when Christ visited the Nephites after his resurrection? He commanded them to do away with contention and specifically admonished them that there be "no disputations among [them] concerning the points of my doctrine, as there have hitherto been" (3 Nephi 11:28). They weren't understanding. There had been prophet after prophet teaching them the doctrine of Christ and they still didn't get it; they were still disputing points of Christ's doctrine. Wherefore, He decided to set 'em straight. Simply and plainly - and perhaps rather powerfully - Jesus said:

33 And whoso believeth in me, and is baptized, the same shall be saved; and they are they who shall inherit the kingdom of God.
34 And whoso believeth not in me, and is not baptized, shall be damned.
35 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that this is my doctrine...

I would try to summarize those verses, but I think they're already about as basic as it gets. God and His Son want us to understand their gospel so badly. They want us to know the path that leads to eternal life and they're reaching out to us at every moment to lead us safely home. I'm full of thanks for a loving God who speaks to us plainly in our own language so we will understand.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Don't judge

This is not marital advice

Out in the desert they wander